The difference between being assertive and aggressive, is that when you are aggressive you adopt an ‘I win – you lose’ mentality, to achieve what you want. When you display assertive behaviour you deal with issues, instead of emotions, which is the most effective way to ask for what you want.
On this course we will provide you with practical guidance to develop your assertiveness skills in any work situation. You will leave the course with a ‘Personal Action Plan’, knowing what key changes you need to make, and what skills you need to practice, in order to build your self esteem and become more assertive.
Who should attend?
All individuals and professionals who would like to improve their overall effectiveness at work by improving their assertiveness skills and becoming more confident.
At the course you will learn
• How to say “no” to unreasonable requests
• How to ask for what you want
• What your own behavioural style is and how it affects your ability to be assertive
• To identify and challenge your negative inner dialogue
• The importance that language and body language play in assertive behaviour
• How to approach conflict situations with more confidence
• What skills to practice to improve your relationships with difficult people
• How to deal with confrontation, criticism and negativity more effectively
What will the course cover?Develop an understanding of behaviour
• Understand why people behave the way they do and what makes them “tick”
• Assertiveness in the work environment – understanding human behaviour
Dealing with criticism, confrontation, low self-esteem and negativity
• Thinking positively instead of negatively – building your self-esteem
• Using positive affirmations
• How self-esteem affects your confidence and influences your behaviour
• Challenging your negative inner dialogue
The link between assertiveness, confidence and self-esteem
• What is the difference between assertive, aggressive and passive behaviour?
• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
• Recognising your own style and behavior
Handle challenging situations and people confidently and assertively
• Overcoming barriers to assertiveness
• Recognising and dealing with fear and apprehension
Understand the importance of communication and body language in preventing conflict
• Taking control through body language
• Making your message clear by using assertive and positive language
• Cross-cultural factors which affect communication
• Communicating with different genders and generations
• Using the “mirroring” technique to create instant rapport
Managing conflict in the workplace
• Managing workplace relationships
• Understanding the other person’s perspective
• Strategies to managing conflict
• Giving and receiving constructive feedback
An introduction to negotiating with others
• Pre-negotiation, preparation and planning
• Using negotiation techniques to resolve conflict
Your personal action plan
Using the tools and techniques you have learned in this course
What is included?
•Practical exercises, discussion and one-to-one feedback from the course facilitator
• A brilliant trainer who is a subject matter expert
• A comprehensive learner guide packed with practical tips
• Post course support to assist you in implementing what you have learned
• Certificate of attendance which you will receive at the course
• Superior training venue with delicious lunch, teas and refreshments