Did you know if you make mistakes in your spelling and grammar, such as using ‘they’re’ instead of ‘their’, people may start to doubt the content of your document as well? When you attend this course, our expert trainer will guide and coach you, so that you become aware of your mistakes and learn how to correct them.
The course covers a wide range of business documents including reports, e-mails, letters, and proposals. You will be given practical techniques and skills that, when implemented, will make a real difference to the documents you write. Ultimately, this course will help you to write more confidently and clearly.
Who should attend?
Suitable for all levels of staff in the organisation who would like to improve the quality of the business documents they write. Also great as a refresher course and for those who would like to clarify the rules of grammar, punctuation and sentence construction. This course is particularly helpful for those who don’t speak English as a first language.
At the course you will learn
• The benefits of planning your writing
• Tips to avoid common errors and grammar mistakes that impact on your professional image
• The tricks to building effective sentences and paragraphs through the use of punctuation
• How to produce documents which are clear, effective and professional
• Why writing for a specific readership and for different circumstances is important
• How to analyse and edit your own documents
What will the course cover?
Preparation and planning
• The importance of all written communication having a clear objective
• Knowing your reader and satisfying their expectations
• How a structured approach can save you time
• Planning the flow of your document
Grammar and sentence construction
• How to avoid the most common grammar mistakes and clear up common confusion
• How jargon, slang and clichés can get in the way of understanding
• The importance of using grammatically correct sentences
• Using simple, plain language and short sentences
Punctuation made easy
• Why punctuate?
• How to punctuate correctly to make sense of our writing
• Avoiding the pitfalls of incorrect punctuation
Standards in business writing today
• Using the correct lay-out when writing a business letter, memo, e-mail or fax
• Using paragraphs to break up the writing, in order to guide the reader
• Cutting out unnecessary words or phrases
• The importance of tone and correcting inappropriate tone in your own writing
• Ensure you are using the right style for different documents
Brief overview of report writing
• Using a structured approach, planning and researching
• Different types of reports
• Main sections and key components of reports
Editing – the final stage
• Avoiding re-writing and wasting time
• Editing, proof-reading and checking documents
• The end result – is it clear, concise, correct and professional
What is included?
• Practical exercises, discussion and one-to-one feedback from the course facilitator
• A brilliant trainer who is a subject matter expert
• A comprehensive learner guide packed with practical tips
• Post course support to assist you in implementing what you have learned
• Certificate of attendance which you will receive at the course
• Superior training venue with delicious lunch, teas and refreshments