Do I qualify for a NSFAS bursary?
The cost of higher education has sky-rocketed over the years and more students are finding it impossible to fund their studies without some help.
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme(NSFAS) administers funding on behalf of the national government to students in need of financial support.
Each year government allocates a substantial amount of money toward the higher education and training sector in order to promote equal access to education and developed a diversified and skilled workforce.
However only students who meet the necessary criteria will be selected to receive a NSFAS bursary. To find out if you are eligible check out this list of requirements offered by the NSFAS website.
You qualify to apply for a bursary if:
- You are a South African citizen;
- Your combined annual household income does not exceed R350 000 per annum;
- You are a SASSA grant recipient;
- You are registering for the first time for an undergraduate qualification at a public university or you are registered at a TVET college for one of the National Certificate Vocational or report 191 programme;
- You are applying to study at a public university or TVET college for a qualification;
- You are an already registered university student with an annual household income of less than R122 000 per year;
- You have passed Grade 9 & 10 to receive NSFAS funding to study at a TVET college;
- You have passed Grade 12 to receive NSFAS funding to study at a university.
To find out more visit the NSFAS website
Other People Were Also Interested In
The education department has announced several changes in the hope of improving education outcomes in South Africa. One significant change has been revealed in the 2024 school calendar covering school terms and school holidays.
The University of South Africa (Unisa) has opened applications for the 2023 academic year’s undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The undergraduate programs provides qualifications such as higher certificates, advanced certificates, national diplomas, advanced diplomas and degrees.