Brian Tracy, Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International, a company specializing in the training and development of individuals and organizations, teaches us six time management tips that you can use to improve your organizational skills and increase productivity. The more of these tools you learn to use, the more that you will get done each day.
1. Prepare in advance – “Proper prior preparation prevents poor performance”. Plan your entire next day before coming home from work. A benefit of this lets you sleep more soundly at night as it clears your mind so you don’t worry about what you need to do the next day.
2. Schedule your time – Use your organisational skills to plan your week or month. This will give you a greater feeling of control and increase productivity throughout your day.
3. Start early – for better time management, it’s always best to start your day early. It increases productivity and helps you to be better organised and more efficient.
4. Organisational Skills – improve on them. Time is often wasted looking for work files that you’ve misplaced. Create a good filing system. Often alphabetical order is the easiest system to use.
5. Increase your productivity – make use of your body’s “prime time” – this is your most productive time of the day when you function best.
6. Air travel productivity – quite often time spent in the air is wasted. Another good way to better your time management is to use this time spent in the air to achieve some of your tasks. A survey conducted by a company called Hughes Air West, once compared the efficiency of flying first class versus economy class and working in a normal office environment. The results of the survey showed that one hour of uninterrupted work time on an airplane was the equivalent of three hours of work in an office environment.
Visit The Skills Portal for information on time management training courses