If you are a newly appointed team leader, you are probably aware that your main responsibility is to keep your team aligned with the company’s goals and to make sure your team members reach them by the deadline. Henry Ford said it best: “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” Start with a few basics to get off on the right foot.
Let’s look at 7 ways to become a victorious team leader:
1. Authenticity. Lead by example. Your team members will relate to you because of who you are. Don’t be pretentious. They will see right through you. This will damage their trust and respect they have for you.
2. Communicate clearly. If your team members know exactly what is expected of them, where they are headed and how they need to get there, achieving these objectives and journey to success is fairly easy.
3. Active Listening. Have an open door policy. Take the ideas, opinions and complaints of your team members into consideration and listen to what they have to say. People want to feel heard.
4. Give an equal chance to everyone. To treat everyone with respect and to be fair across the board is important to create team collaboration. What is good for the geese is good for the gander. Lead your team by keeping this in mind.
5. Delegate and trust. Don’t micro-manage your team members. Delegate tasks according to their strengths and have enough trust in them. Address uncompleted tasks or poor performance in the correct manner, firmly and with assertiveness.
6. Be Emotionally Intelligent. Know yourself and put yourself in the shoes of your team members. Talk to them and handle them with compassion and empathy.
7. Give Feedback. Team members appreciate regular feedback. Be honest but combine criticism with positive recommendations.
Be a team leader instead of a dictator by keeping an open mind and giving team members a fair chance to get involved in the workings of the team. The way you manage and lead your team will open a platform where people feel wanted, equal and can express themselves so that the company’s goals can be achieved in an innovative and creative way.
The Mindspa Institute offers various courses in team building, team aligning and leadership, to name but a few. For more information visit the website www.themindspa.co.za or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 010 110 0226.