Common Questions About The Upcoming Matric Results



The Matric results are going to be announced soon but for some there are still questions about the next step.

We offer some helpful advice to students who didn't get the outcome they wanted.

Re-checking and remarking of scripts

Are you unhappy with your results? Each year students can apply to have their scripts re-examined at a specified time and for a fee.

The deadline for applications will be released by the Department of Education however students may apply immediately after receiving their results.

Application forms for re-marking or re-checking of examination answer scripts are available from the school or the centre where the examination was written.

Rechecking: This is an administrative procedure to ensure that all questions were marked and that the final mark was calculated correctly.

Remarking: This procedure is used to review the original scores given for a script.

In both cases the mark awarded after remarking will be the final mark given for the script in question.

Withholding of examination results

Are you still waiting for your results? If you have not received your results yet it could be due to irregularities.

If your exam results are being withheld you have the right to appeal. You can request the reasons for the delay in writing or by contacting either your school or district office.

Alternatively you can visit the nearest office of the Department of Education to find out more about your results.

Supplementary Exams

Thinking about rewriting your exams? Only students who meet the stipulated requirements can apply for supplementary exams.

To find out more about the requirements go here

What if I do qualify?

If you meet the requirements you can register for the supplementary exams at the school or the centre where the examination was written.

You can do so immediately after you have received your results and before the deadline provided by the Department of Education.

You will then need to find out when the exams will be written. Check the Education departments website for more details.

What if I don't qualify?

Here are some alternate options provided by the Department of Basic Education for students who don't meet the exam requirements.:

  • Re-enroll for the NSC at a school without delay, provided that the candidate is younger than 21 years of age.
  • Register as a part-time candidate at a Public Adult Education Centre, provided that the candidate is older than 21 years of age.
  • Register for vocational education and training at a Further Education and Training college.
  • Register for the Senior Certificate (SC) examination which is a school leaving qualification for adults and out-ofschool learners.
  • Alternatively, candidates that were not successful in their examinations could consider vocational education and training. There are 50 Public Further Education and Training (FET) colleges across all provinces of South Africa comprising over 300 campuses or teaching sites.