How NSFAS Funding Works When You Change Courses

Higher Education, Science and Innovation Minister, Dr Blade Nzimande has addressed the funding concerns of students who change courses. 

The Minister has reassured beneficiaries of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) that their funding will not be affected should they choose to change courses. 

He said this will apply even when students transfer from one institution to another. 

How does NSFAS funding work?

Funding for NSFAS students is based on academic eligibility testing which includes the N+ rule.

N refers to the minimum amount of time the student has to complete their degree. This is usually specified by the institution that the student is enrolled at. 

“If a student is transferred from any other public university, regardless of whether they were funded at that university, the number of years already registered for the qualification will be counted as part of the minimum qualification completion time,” Nzimande said.

What is the difference between the N + 1 and N+2 rule?

N+1 rule:  applies to first-time entering university students who registered December 2017

N+2 rule : applies to students who first registered before January 2018.

Students who no longer meet the academic requirements or exceed their minimum qualification time will no longer be eligible for funding from NSFAS. 

“Students contravene the rules when they no longer meet academic eligibility requirements, exceed their N+ time, and move between institutions without declaring their movement,” Nzimande said.



Read Also: