Schools were closed from Wednesday, 18 March. President Cyril Ramaphosa announced an extension of the lockdown period until the end of April. Will pupils be able to adhere to Social Distancing Regulations?
Department of Basic Education proposed protocols in schools:
- Sanitize Classrooms prior to start of school day
- Cloth masks to be worn by pupils and teachers at all times;
- Sanitize hands on entering of classroom
- Hugging, handshaking and direct contact must be avoided;
- Limited to no movement of students between classes
Proposed dates for a resumption of schooling are:
- Grades 12 and 7 - May 6
- Grades 11 and 6 - May 20
- Grades 10 and 5 - June 3
- Grades 9 and 4 - June 17
- Grades 8 and 3 - July 1
- Grades 2 and 1 - July 8
- Grades R - July 15.
Basic Education briefing on the status of schooling