Today marks the second day of the Basic Education sector's vaccine rollout and teacher unions have taken over, as they try to help the department stay on track.
Naptosa Executive Director, Basil Manuel said the rollout has been well planned so far, with over 48 000 educators being vaccinated on day 1.
Basic Education Minister, Angie Motshekga has set a deadline for over 580 000 educators to be vaccinated by 8 July.
Manuel said he believes this number is reachable within the timeframe. However, some provinces, like the Northern Cape are struggling to reach educators in small towns.
The department is currently working on sending out mobile teams to reach as many educators in the province.
While the department plans to finish the rollout in 2 weeks, Manuel has acknowledged that there are some people who could refuse to be vaccinated.
"We've been trying to work with the 15% from our survey that are sitting on the fence. 10% said they are anti vaxxers and they are a more difficult group.
"The question to ask is, where am I safer? With or without the vaccine?" said Manuel.
All educators looking to be vaccinated can register on the Electronic Vaccination Registration Portal.
You will need the following to register:
- Access to the internet on any device (cellphone, laptop, tablet, desktop etc.)
- Your ID number or Passport (non-RSA)
- General contact information (your cellphone number will be used as the primary mode of communication).
- Information about your employment (primary employer and location of work)
- Where relevant, your professional registration details, and medical aid are also requested.
With all information at hand, registration should take approximately 2-3 minutes.