The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (Nsfas) has called for all qualifying students who are currently registered at an institution of higher learning for the 2021 academic year to apply for funding. Applications for this funding close 3 September 2021.
Applications were opened on 8 August 2021, and will close on 3 September 2021.
The Minister of Higher Education, Blade Nzimande said “We are indeed a caring government and Ministry”. The purpose of the reopening of applications is to help alleviate the financial impact that tertiary education often brings to students and their families.
The price of higher education leads often to the financial exclustion of students which could perpetuate poverty and unemployment. If you are awarded a Nsfas bursary, your studies for future years will automatically be paid for.
Do you qualify for Nsfas? You need to...
- Be a South African citizen.
- Registered at any public university for the 2021 academic year.
- Have a combined household income of less than R350 000 per annum.
- Have a combined household income of less than R600 000 per annum for people living with disabilities.
- SASSA grant recipients automatically qualify on their financial eligibility.
- Have a valid email address.
- Have your own valid cell phone.
- Copy of student's ID.
- If you have a Smart ID card, both sides should be visible on the copy.
- Copy of students parent/s/guardian or spouse ID.
- Proof of income (where applicable).