Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) is South Africa?s official statistics agency, which falls under the leadership of the Minister of Finance.
Stats SA strives towards being the preferred supplier of quality statistics, and one of the ways in which this will be achieved is by building human capacity through the internship programme.
Their activities are designed to achieve our mission of providing a relevant and accurate body of statistics to inform users on the dynamics in the economy and society through the application of internationally acclaimed practices. These activities are also supported by relevant corporate objectives and beliefs. They strongly believe that people are the key to their success and they are searching for energetic, intelligent and motivated graduates to join their team in 2006.
More details from Stats SA
What can we offer you?
- Exciting and challenging careers grounded in diverse fields such as mathematics, statistics, economics, demography, quantitative sociology, accounting, business administration, geography, marketing, communications and computer science
- Opportunities that utilise your degree and encourage you to develop your knowledge and existing skills
- A year?s contract with the view to permanent employment
- A stimulating environment with exposure to different work areas
- Ongoing training and support with opportunities for bursaries for permanent staff
- Competitive remuneration
- Leave days as is applicable to persons in the public service
What are they looking for?
- A proven record of academic achievement
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Initiative, motivation and flexibility
- A client focus in your work
- Analytical skills which enable you to analyse the South African economic and social environment
- Clarity and logic when writing analytical reports
- Understanding the value and importance of statistics as a research tool
About the Internship programme.
We are offering 60 graduates the opportunity to experience the trials and tribulations, and reap the rewards of working for the official statistics body in the country. The internship programme starts in January 2006 and lasts for a period of 12 months. Graduates will receive intensive training in the relevant work areas and will be evaluated periodically on progress made. The training and evaluation is conducted with a view to offering permanent employment to those participants who have excelled during the course of the year and meet the set requirements.
Students who will have completed their four-year degrees with at least one of the relevant majors, by December 2005 and who are available to join the internship programme from 1 January 2006, may be considered for the programme. Students must have a South African identity document.
Students who have a four-year degree with one of the following subjects may apply for the internship programme:
- Business administration
- Quantitative sociology
- Computer science
Selection for the internship programme is based on academic results, assessment against the selection criteria, comments from recent referees, performance in the interview and results of the competency test.
How to apply
Full details on how to apply are available on the Stats SA website at :