President Jacob Zuma has announced his Cabinet in Pretoria.
Zuma announced that Cyril Ramaphosa is to be the deputy president.
The successful Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has been moved to the
of co-operative governance and traditional affairs.
The new Finance Minister will be the former deputy Nhlanhla Nene.
Read the full announcement below.
Speech by President Zuma
"We have established a Ministry of Telecommunications and Postal Services."
"Our country has a fast growing telecommunications sector which in 2012 was
estimated at being worth R180 billion. We also see a great developmental value in
the Post Office given its role of delivering financial services to remote areas of our
"This new department will ensure that the country derives more value out of the
booming information communications and technology industry and the postal services
"The National Planning Commission as well as the Performance Monitoring and
Evaluation Ministries in the Presidency have been combined into one Ministry to
harmonise the planning and monitoring functions. "
"This Ministry will also continue to be responsible for youth development."
"We have established a new Communications Ministry, which will be responsible for
overarching communication policy and strategy, information dissemination and
publicity as well as the branding of the country abroad."
Improved communication and marketing will promote an informed citizenry and also
assist the country to promote investments, economic growth and job creation.
This Ministry will be formed out of the following components;
* The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa
* The SA Broadcasting Corporation
* Government Communications and Information System (GCIS)
* Brand SA and
* The Media Development and Diversity Agency
Ladies and gentlemen,
The functions related to support for people with disabilities and children, will be
transferred to the Department of Social Development.
The current Ministry of Women, Children and People with Disability is now the
Ministry of Women which will be located in the Presidency.
The Women's Ministry will champion the achievement of women's socio-economic
empowerment and women's rights.
To further improve efficiency in the criminal justice system, we have combined the
Department of Justice and Constitutional Development with the Correctional Services
The Department will now be called the Department of Justice and Correctional
Ladies and gentlemen,
We have made an undertaking to significantly improve the provision of water and
sanitation to our communities in the new term.
In this regard, we have established the Ministry of Water and Sanitation.
You will recall that we stated in the inauguration address that the economy will take
centre-stage. The development of the small business sector is critical to economic
development and transformation.
We have thus established a new Ministry for Small Business Development.
Ladies and gentlemen,
It is now my pleasure to announce the members of the National Executive.
The Deputy President is Mr Cyril Ramaphosa.
1. The Minister in the Presidency is Mr Jeff Radebe.
2. The Minister of Women in the Presidency is Ms Susan Shabangu.
3. The Minister of Justice and Correctional Services is Mr Michael Masutha.
4. The Minister of Public Service and Administration is Mr Collins Chabane.
5. The Minister of Defence and Military Veterans is Ms Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula.
6. The Minister of Home Affairs is Mr Malusi Gigaba.
7. The Minister of Environmental Affairs is Ms Edna Molewa.
8. The Minister of State Security is Mr David Mahlobo.
9. The Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services is Dr Siyabonga Cwele.
10. The Minister of Police is Mr Nkosinathi Nhleko.
11. The Minister of Trade and Industry is Dr Rob Davies.
12. The Minister of Finance is Mr Nhlanhla Nene.
13. The Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is Mr Senzeni Zokwana.
14. The Minister of Water and Sanitation is Ms Nomvula Mokonyane.
15. The Minister of Basic Education is Ms Angie Motshekga.
16. The Minister of Health is Dr Aaron Motsoaledi.
17. The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation is Ms Maite Nkoana-
18. The Minister of Rural Development and Land Reform is Mr Gugile Nkwinti.
19. The Minister of Higher Education and Training is Dr Bonginkosi "Blade' Nzimande.
20. The Minister of Economic Development is Mr Ebrahim Patel.
21. The Minister of Transport is Ms Dipuo Peters.
22. The Minister of Mineral Resources is Adv Ngoako Ramathlodi.
23. The Minister of Social Development is Ms Bathabile Dlamini.
24. The Minister of Public Enterprises is Ms Lyn Brown.
25. The Minister of Sport and Recreation is Mr Fikile Mbalula.
26. The Minister of Labour is Ms Mildred Oliphant.
27. The Minister of Arts and Culture is Mr Nathi Mthethwa.
28. The Minister of Public Works is Mr Thulas Nxesi.
29. The Minister of Small Business Development is Ms Lindiwe Zulu.
30. The Minister of Energy is Ms Tina Joemat-Peterssen.
31. The Minister of Science and Technology is Ms Naledi Pandor.
32. The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs is Mr Pravin
33. The Minister of Communications is Ms Faith Muthambi.
34. The Minister of Human Settlements is Ms Lindiwe Sisulu.
35. The Minister of Tourism is Mr Derek Hanekom.
The Deputy Ministers are the following;
1. The Deputy Minister of Human settlements is Ms Zoe Kota-Hendricks.
2. The Deputy Minister of Basic Education is Mr Enver Surty.
3. The Deputy Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, responsible
for provincial and local government is Mr Andries Nel.
4. The Deputy Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, responsible
for traditional affairs, is Mr Obed Bapela.
5. The Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Mr Kebby Maphatsoe.
6. The Deputy Minister in the Presidency is Mr Buti Manamela.
7. The Deputy Minister of Tourism is Ms Thokozile Xasa.
8. The Deputy Minister of Health is Dr Joe Phaahla.
9. The Deputy Minister of Public Service and Administration is Ms Ayanda Dlodlo.
10. The Deputy Minister of Home Affairs is Ms Fatima Chohan.
11. The Deputy Minister of Public Enterprises is Mr Gratitude Magwanishe.
The Ministry of Justice and Correctional Services will have two deputy ministers.
12. Mr John Jeffery, responsible for the justice and constitutional development
13. Mr Thabang Makwetla responsible for the correctional services portfolio.
14. The Deputy Minister of Environmental Affairs is Ms Barbara Thomson.
15. The Deputy Minister of Sport and Recreation is Mr Gert Oosthuizen.
16. The Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is Mr Bheki Cele.
17. The Deputy Minister of Telecommunications and Postal services, Ms Hlengiwe
18. The Deputy Minister of State Security is Ms Ellen Molekane.
19. The Deputy Minister of Police is Maggie Sotyu.
20. The Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry, is Mzwandile Masina.
International relations and cooperation will remain with two deputy ministers.
21. Ms Noma-India Mfeketho and
22. Mr Lluwelyn Landers.
23. The Deputy Minister of Finance is Mr Mcebisi Jonas.
24. The Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation is Ms Pam Tshwete.
About 17 million South Africans live in rural areas. However, rural areas bear the
brunt of poverty, joblessness and gross inequality, particularly former homeland
Given this reality, I have decided to appoint two Deputy Ministers for Rural
Development and Land Reform.
25. Mr Mcebisi Skwatsha and
26. Ms Candith Mashego-Dlamini.
27. The Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training is Mr Mduduzi Manana.
28. The Deputy Minister of Economic Development is Mr Madala Masuku.
29. The Deputy Minister of Transport is Ms Sindi Chikunga.
30. The Deputy Minister of Mineral Resources is Mr Godfrey Oliphant.
31. The Deputy Minister of Social Development is Ms Henrietta Bogopane-Zulu.
The labour portfolio will gain a deputy minister given the important role of the
department in the economic cluster.
32. The Deputy Minister is Inkosi Patekile Holomisa.
33. The Deputy Minister of Arts and Culture is Ms Rejoice Mabudafhasi.
34. The Deputy Minister of Public Works is Mr Jeremy Cronin.
35. The Deputy Minister of Small Business development is Ms Elizabeth Thabethe.
36. The Deputy Minister of Energy is Ms Thembi Majola.
37. The Deputy Minister of Communications is Ms Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams.
I have appointed 20 men and 15 women Ministers as well as 20 men and 16 women
We are happy to be moving closer to our target of having more women in Cabinet
and the national executive as a whole.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe
and all the Ministers and Deputy Ministers who served in the fourth administration.
Their contribution to the improvement of the quality of life of our people is highly
We wish Deputy President Ramaphosa and all the newly appointed Ministers and
Deputy Ministers all the best as they lead the nation in moving the country forward.
I thank you.