The Expanded Functions for Oral Hygienists (2013 scope) course is specifically designed for Oral Hygienists (OHs) who graduated between 2000 and 2012. As an oral hygienist, you need to attend this course as the scope of practice has been amended and you now offer more dental services than you were originally trained to perform. The Health Professionals Council of South Africa is urging you to attend this expanded functions course in order to upgrade your skills.
- Odontology: Materials used for the fabrication of mouth guards, Atraumatic Restorative Treatment (ART) and Preventive Resin Restorations (PRRs)
- Odontology: Be aware of the complications, techniques and materials available for performing vital bleaching
- Periodontology: Be aware of the rationale, complications and techniques used for the splinting of periodontally affected teeth
- Patient Management: Able to offer counselling with respect to diet and smoking to all patients, and
- Dento-Facial Anomalies (Orthodontics): Obtain knowledge on the re-cementation of orthodontic retainers.