The purpose of this Unit Standard is to enable learners to apply basic health and safety legislation in the form of standards and procedures governing health and safety in the workplace, to ensure that they contribute to a safe, healthy environment for themselves and others.
• “hazard”, “hazardous substance”, “risk” and “safe” as described in the Occupational Health & Safety Act (Act no. 85 of 1993), and the relationship between the three concepts.
• Statutory requirements.
• Workman`s compensation procedures.
• Relevant national regulations.
• Health and safety regulations.
• The implications of not following procedure that apply to illness or injury in the work area.
• Health and safety planning.
• The use of protective clothing.
• The use of fire extinguishers.
• Procedures for incident reporting and recording.