This qualification is applicable to people within the clothing sector. Learners will be able to produce garments using a domestic lockstitch sewing machine. The purpose of the qualification is to build the competence of learners in the clothing sector at NQF Level 1 to address the following:
- The need for the learner to demonstrate an understanding of entrepreneurship and develop entrepreneurial qualities.
- The need for the learner to manage his/her personal finances, as well as demonstrate an understanding of basic accounting practices.
- The need for the learner to demonstrate an understanding of managerial expertise and administrative capabilities.
- The need for learners to demonstrate an understanding of the principles of supply and demand, and the concept production.
- The need for the learner to perform basic life support and/or first aid procedures in emergencies, and assist community members to access services in accordance with their health-related human rights.
- The need for the learner to comply with quality procedures and practices when finishing and storing pressed and ironed items.
- The need for the learner to demonstrate an understanding of how to participate effectively in the workplace.
- The need for the learner to research market trends and determine customer needs and in so doing successfully negotiate price and delivery requirements with customers.
- The need for the learner to identify component parts of a product and in so doing calculate the quantities and cost of various component parts as per customer requirements.
- The need for the learner to determine the appropriate material requirements and in so doing identify a range of suppliers from which to select a buy materials.
- The need for the learner to complete a minimum of two different garments or home textiles using a lockstitch sewing machine and in so doing cut, sew, finish and inspect the completed garments.
The General Education and Training Certificate in Clothing Manufacturing Processes provides the following articulation possibilities:
The National Certificate in Clothing Manufacturing Processes NQF Level 2, ID 21870.
GETC in Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Activities, ID 23253.