The purpose of this qualification is to build a foundational entry into the field of Computer Sciences and Information Technology, specifically into the field of Systems Development, covering basic knowledge needed for further study in the field of Systems Development at Higher Education Levels.
The qualification can be acquired in the traditional way of formal study as well as in the workplace, through learnerships. Acquiring the qualification through learnerships has the potential of addressing the problems of the past, where newly qualified people getting into the industry struggled to get employment because they were required to have practical experience. The workplace experience can now be gained while acquiring the qualification through the various learnership schemes that are planning to use this qualification.
A qualifying learner at this level will be a well-rounded entry-level Systems Developer with a good fundamental knowledge of the Information Technology field, coupled with interpersonal and business skills, preparing for later specialization in Systems Development fields.
The qualification is designed to:
- provide learners with an entry-level for further study in Information Technology and related fields, as well as for initial employment in the computer industry.
- allow many of the listed unit standards to be used in Learnership Schemes in the Information Systems and Technology sector, as well as other sectors where Information Technology is a key requirement.
- provide a foundational qualification for people who are pursuing a career in the computer industry or related fields. People with this qualification have an introductory level of understanding about computer industry concepts and/or are able to work in areas of Information Technology with little technical complexity, for example, entry-level computer programming, as a junior project team members.
- allow the credits achieved in the National Certificates in Information Technology (Level 2 & 3) to be used as the foundation (i.e. learning assumed to be in place) for the requirements of this qualification.
- have a flexible structure to allow for changing requirements in the computer industry, and to allow providers to create learning programs with a predominantly Information Technology component but tailored to meet local, national or international needs.
In particular, people credited with this unit standard will be able to:
1. Communicate effectively with fellow IT staff & users of information systems.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of different types of computer systems and the use of computer technology in business.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of problem-solving techniques, and how to apply them in a technical environment.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Technology Principles.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Programming Principles.
6. Work effectively as a team member within a development project environment.
7. Carry out, under supervision, a small size task to demonstrate an understanding of the knowledge, techniques & skills needed to understand the fundamentals of Computer Programming.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME:
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 12.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Qualification Fee: R15350
On successful completion of qualification, the learner will receive a certificate