In summary, the purpose of this qualification may be stated as:
To develop learners with the requisite competencies against the skills profile for the systems support career path (The overarching aim being to develop a broader base of skilled ICT professionals to underpin economic growth)
The qualification may be acquired in the traditional way of formal study as well as in the workplace, through learnerships. Acquiring the qualification through learnerships has the potential of addressing the problems of the past, where newly qualified people getting into the industry struggled to get employment because they were required to have practical experience. The workplace experience can now be gained while acquiring the qualification through the various learnership schemes that are planning to use this qualification.
A qualifying learner at this level will be a well-rounded IT professional building on foundational technical skills acquired at NQF level 4, via the National Certificate in IT Technical Support or equivalent. This qualification is expanding the specialization (s) started at NQF level 4 into the core field of networking and support, with further specialization (s) into IT Support fields or in any other related vertical or enabled markets.
The qualification is designed to:
- Provide qualified learners with an undergraduate entry into the field of networking/systems support, earning credits towards tertiary offerings in the fields of Computer Studies or Computer Science
- Prepare qualified learners for initial employment in the computer industry.
- Allow the credits achieved in the National Certificates relating to Information Technology at NQF level 4 to be used as prior learning for this qualification.
- Allow many of the unit standards listed in this qualification, to be used in Learnership Schemes in the Information Systems and Technology sector, as well as other sectors where Information Technology is a key requirement.Research has indicated that in order to qualify for this qualification, learners will need to demonstrate competence in the following:
1. Ability to use the logical methodology to troubleshoot the common types of hardware and software problems typically encountered in the day-to-day operations of an organization.
2. Ability to understand the role of technology in the business context.
3. Ability to create integrated technology-based communication systems for improved business effectiveness.
4. Ability to store, manage and retrieve knowledge (data) efficiently and effectively to meet organizational requirements.
5. Ability to ensure secure information systems that will serve to protect the business from data loss and breaches of integrity.
6. Ability to design and reflect business structure in IT Systems appropriately in order to optimize operating efficiencies flows of data and resource utilization within the structure.
7. Ability to mobilize technical and technology-based resources to solve business problems in a specified context.
8. Ability to perform cost-effectively and efficiently in technology-based projects.
9. Ability to manage customer relations appropriately.
10. Ability to operate effectively within a change, release and configuration process.
11. Ability to utilize technology-based research tools and knowledge-base repositories.
12. Ability to identify and communicate business opportunities appropriately.
13. Ability to install, support and maintain end-user applications
In particular, people credited with this unit standard will be able to:
- Use a logical methodology to troubleshoot the common types of hardware and software problems typically encountered in the day-to-day operations of a department in an organization.
2. Understand the role of technology in the business context.
3. Demonstrate basic application support skills
4. Demonstrate operating system support skills
5. Demonstrate network support skills
6. Relate business problems and information technology solutions
7. Demonstrate appropriate technical reporting skills
8. Demonstrate appropriate customer care in the context of IT support
9. Function appropriately in a change management process within a support team
10. Demonstrate hardware support skills for server computers
11. Demonstrate an understanding of Systems Support contextualized within a selected work area.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME:
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 12.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Qualification Fee: R17158
On successful completion of qualification, the learner will receive a certificate