This program is intended to heads of department, section heads or divisional heads, and may have more than one
team reporting to them.
The qualifying individual completing the program will have the capability to:
Recognizing team member performance.
Encouraging participation in decision-making.
Reviewing decisions and progress with delegated tasks.
Recognize team member performance.
1. The role, duties and responsibilities of each team member in the
section/division/department are identified together with the level of performance
expected of them and an indication of how they fit into the work of the section.
2. Team members are told what they do well, what needs improvement and what is
expected in the future.
3. All feedback is measured against performance expectations, which have been
communicated to the team member.
4. Feedback is given at the time that the event occurs.
5. Feedback is honest, simple, specific and constructive.
6. Team members are dealt with as valued and trusted members of the team.
Encourage participation in decision-making.
1. Team members are included in division/section/department decision-making by
fully informing them of the situation and the decision(s) that need to be taken.
2. Team members are encouraged to think of solutions to the problem being as
innovative as possible.
3. Team members must be asked to provide alternatives, evaluate the alternatives
and select one for implementation.
4. The best solution is sought by getting team members to debate their
viewpoints and work towards finding common ground.
1. The work plan or task is analyzed and broken down into smaller tasks,
programs or units of work and a decision taken as to who in the section is best
suited to carry them out.
2. The delegated tasks must be clearly communicated to employees indicating what
is expected, how it must be done and where to get help, if necessary.
3. Decision-making authority required to execute the task is indicated to the
an employee so that team members can react to situations immediately and
4. Regular feedback and reporting schedule must be agreed upon.
5. A system to enable the flow of information must be established by the team
6. The successful completion of delegated tasks must be monitored and the
performance used a means of ongoing development.
7. Successful achievement of delegated tasks must be given recognition.
Review the decisions and performance of delegated tasks.
1. Decisions taken are reviewed in small-group and/or whole group situations to
decide on their success in reaching the stated objectives.
2. Correct decisions are confirmed and incorrect decisions are rescinded or amended
so as to enable the objectives to be met.
3. Delegated tasks are reviewed with the person to whom it is delegated to ensure
the successful completion of the task/plan.
4. Alternative plans of action are drawn up by the group/team for incorrect
decisions and delegated tasks that are not being carried out successfully.