This unit standard is intended for learners who are working as peer educators in Education, Training and Development (ETD) institutions, workplace, community, youth organizations, Community Based Organisations (CBOs), Faith-Based Organisations (FBOs), Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and health services.
This unit standard is designed to equip learners with the necessary knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to become a competent and effective peer educator and/or member of a peer education team. It will enable the learner to explain peer education, the roles and responsibilities of a peer educator, demonstrate the skills required of a peer educator, plan, implement and review a peer education intervention.
Learners completing this unit standard will be competent in:
- Exploring peer-group education in various contexts.
- Identifying and explaining the roles and responsibilities of a peer educator in various contexts.
- Planning a peer education intervention in a group setting.
- Demonstrating skills required for the implementation of a peer education intervention.
- Reviewing the implementation of a peer education intervention.