This qualification will equip a person to perform functions in the Network Operations environment within the telecommunications Industry. Telecommunications covers a wide range of specialization areas. These areas are, Management and surveillance of Information and Communication Technology Networks, Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol Networks Operations, Installation and Maintenance of Customer Premises Equipment, Operation of Telecommunications Transport Systems, Maintenance of Telecommunication Cables, Installation of Telecommunication Cables, Operation of Telecommunication Lines and Installation of Network Elements.
Each specialization area encompasses a unique, autonomous job function. The qualifying learner will have acquired the knowledge, and be able to function as a competent operations specialist in one of the specialization areas listed above. Multiple specializations are not a requirement for this qualification although natural progression is desirable and allowed. The competencies required for this qualification may be acquired through learnerships or skills programs. Acquiring this qualification has the benefit of addressing problems historically associated with non-OBE training where newly qualified people struggled to get employment due to a lack of experiential training in the workplace.
The Telecommunications landscape has been impacted tremendously by the onset of Convergence, Legislation, and Regulation, and by the rapid evolution and expansion of new data and network services enabled by Next Generation technologies and telecommunications infrastructure.
No qualification in telecommunications networks operations currently exists to accurately address the skills requirements posed by industry evolution and development.
This qualification, therefore, aims to address the skills development needs of specifically the Telecommunications Network Operations environment.
The qualification provides prospective candidates with specialization areas from which to elect, in anticipation of career choices in the ICT sector. The knowledge and skills obtained during the learning process towards this qualification provide the learner with a set of competencies that can be applied and are in demand in the ICT environment.
This will enhance the learner’s opportunities to gain employment in areas as diverse as security systems, data networks, broadcasting, and mobile communication.
The qualification enables learners to perform first-line installation, operations, and maintenance in the disciplines listed above.
This qualification provides learners opportunities for entrants to the ICT industry and also for current ICT workers to receive recognition for prior learning.
This qualification was developed to address the needs of the industry in a format which supports the objectives of the NQF:
- To create an integrated national framework for learning achievements.
- Facilitate access to, and mobility and progression within education, training and career paths.
- Enhance the quality of education and training.
- Accelerate the redress of past unfair discrimination in education, training and employment opportunities.
- Contribute to the full personal development of each learner and the social and economic development of the nation at large.
In particular, people credited with this unit standard will be able to:
- List and explain the elements that comprise a current and a next-generation telecommunication network.
2. Explain the uses of telecommunication protocols and telecommunication principles.
3. Explain the characteristics and benefits of available telecommunications products and services in both the commodity and value-added (VAS) ranges.
4. The commission, maintain, diagnose faults, and repair telecommunication equipment.
5. Function in workforce management and network management environment.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME:
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 12.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Qualification Fee: R14950
On successful completion of qualification, the learner will receive a certificate