The programme is aimed at all staff or levels in an organisation. Diversity, Cultural Awareness and Self Identity impact all employees in creating a harmonious and productive working environment.
All organisations deal with issues of diversity and cultural differences. The programme focuses on exploring cultural awareness, values, value conflicts, ethical dilemmas, communication, relationships and awareness, in an interactive and engaging way. Learners acquire knowledge and skills to effectively manage diversity in the workplace, which should in turn, improve productivity, deal with negative behaviour and promote inclusion in the process of change.
· To raise learners’ cultural awareness when dealing with customers/colleagues, thus developing empathy and understanding
- To identify appropriate values that would enhance better relationships in South African context
- To describe why and how value conflicts and ethical dilemmas arise
- To apply key communication skills (word, tone and body language) to handle conflict
- To learn how to maintain effective working relationships
Module One: Cultural awareness in the workplace
- What is cultural identity?
- Traditions, customs, lifestyles and beliefs of others
- Cultural norms and differences
- Awareness of verbal and non-verbal communication
- Listening to others and the use of empathy
Module Two: South African Values and Value Conflicts
- Human dignity
- Equality and non-racism
- Universal moral principles
- Failure to respect others
- Values vs. Principles
Module Three: Skills for Handling and Resolving Conflict
- Feelings and emotions in conflict situations
- Active listening and resolving disputes
- Reasoning and role playing
- Informal and formal conflict management
- Four steps to resolving workplace conflict
Module Four: Being Authentic and Managing Relationships
- How authentic are you?
- Authenticity Quadrants
- DISC Personality Types (Personal assessment for learners)
- Knowledge and understanding of others
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Encouragement, positive reinforcement and team work
- Trust and Shared Values: keys to developing constructive relationships
Method of presentation:
- Course manuals; High level, dynamic facilitation; Self assessment; Participative involvement/ group work; Practical exercises.