Graphic design refers to the art or skill of combining images and texts to create visual content to communicate messages to a target audience. The product of graphic design can be found in books, advertisements, news articles, magazines, television, digital art and signage.
Graphic refers to the visual elements of a message which include things like Line, Colour, Shape, Texture, Space, Form and Typography. Design refers to principles used to organise visual elements; these principles include Contrast Hierarchy, Balance, Alignment, Proximity and Function.
Each of these principles has a different purpose and is used in a layout to communicate a specific idea. Graphic designers follow these principles to communicate a message or an idea effectively.
If you are interested in learning more about graphic design or want to become a graphic designer, then you should consider taking a course in the subject. In this piece, we take a look at where you can find graphic design courses while you are working.
Here’s Where To Find Graphic Design Courses While Working
- Offers a 14-week course that teaches students the basics of graphic design principles and applications
- Students will also gain a historical understanding of graphic design, stylistic movements and the famous designers that made an impact.
- Offers a 10-week course in Graphic Design through Get Smarter
- When students complete the course, they will have gained Industry-aligned skills for print and digital media design.
- Offers a Higher Certificate in Graphic Design that be completed on a part-time basis
- Students will gain and develop the knowledge and skills required to enter a career in graphic design.
- Offers a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design
- Students can obtain the NQF-7 qualification in person or online.
- Offers several online courses in graphic design
- Aimed at students wanting to pursue a career in graphic design and digital marketing.
For a full list of courses available to individuals living in South Africa, visit the Careers Portal’s Where To Study Page.