Why Customer Service is essential in 2021?
We at Academy Training Group have been in the training game since 1997 and we would not be here had it not been for good customer service!
Customer service is not only the backbone of any company; it is also the benchmark with which clients determine if their needs were met.
Client service is also about more than the old belief that ‘the customer is always right’ – it is about internal and external client service – a happy staff member is also a happy client.
Customer Service Definition
'Customer service is the ability of an organization to constantly and consistently exceed the customer's expectations. Customer service is meeting the needs and desires of any customer.’
Characteristics of Good Customer Service
- Promptness: Promises for delivery of products must be on time. Delays and cancellations of products should be avoided.
- Politeness: Politeness is almost a lost art. Saying 'hello,' 'good afternoon,' 'sir', and 'thank you very much' are a part of good customer service. For any business, a 'thank you' is appropriate whether the customer makes a purchase or not.
- Professionalism: All customers should be treated professionally.
- Personalization: Using the customer's name is very effective in producing loyalty. Customers like the idea that whom they do business with knows them on a personal level.
Types of Customer Service
There are different types of customer service that are provided by businesses. The type of service that customers encounter will depend on the product or service that a business provides, what the customers' needs are, and whether the service is problem-oriented or focused toward enhancing the customer’s experience.
- Call / Contact Centre: One of the most basic types of customer service is the call / contact centre. A large business will often devote an entire department to taking calls from customers who have needs or concerns about the business' service or product. The representatives who work at the call centre will usually be the first people to hear about the customers' concerns and will either resolve the problem or contact the people who can. Company call centres are the link between customers and the company, and how they handle customer concerns reflects on the company in a very important way.
- Face to Face Customer Service: Often department stores and specialty stores will have face to face customer service staff where customers can go to have problems resolved or receive information that will help them with their shopping needs. This type of face-to-face customer service is extremely helpful to consumers and has obvious benefits for both the store and the customers.
- Online Customer Service: In the current Global situation more and more Customer prefer dealing with Companies electronically by using Company websites, which creates a greater level of expectation in terms of Customer Service. Customers expect a greater response to their online requests than ever before, which is why Companies are required to have the online capacity to deal with the Customer requests 24/7.
Customer Service's Role in Marketing
Any good company wants its customers to know that they are there to service their needs, long after the sale of the product/service. Companies spend millions each year showcasing or marketing their devotion to customer service. Some companies put the number of customers helped or the quick response time of their on-line or call centre in the marketing material. They want the customer to know how committed they are to serving them during and after the sale.
Many companies today use their marketing plan to show off their excellent customer service. This allows the company to attract new customers and retain their current customers and grow their business even in the most difficult of times.