Training and development can be described as "an educational process which involves the sharpening of skills, concepts, changing of attitude and gaining knowledge”.
Training and development encompasses three main activities: Education, Training and Development
- Education focuses upon the jobs that an individual may potentially hold in the future.
- Training is teaching, or developing in oneself or others, any skills and knowledge that relate to specific useful competencies. Training has specific goals of improving one's capability, capacity, productivity and performance.
- Development focuses upon the activities that the organization employing the individual, or that the individual is part of, may partake in the future, and is almost impossible to evaluate.
To quote President Ramaposa in one of his recent speech:
“Your role……., that we develop the skill base of our people especially the young people. As we do so, we must do it on a massive basis, it must be broad-based. Getting the right people to become teachers, developing them into effective instructors and ensuring that the system was able to deliver the best possible instruction for every child”, he said.
President Ramaposa further said that the National Development Plan emphasized the need to improve the quality of teacher training and the recruitment of higher-caliber candidates.
You can further your education and training in any discipline by entering the field of Occupationally Directed Education Training and Development Practices (ODETDP), as a potential career, even with little or no previous exposure to Education Training Development (ETD). This qualification will provide practitioners with the general Education Training (ETD) skills required at NQF level 5 across five key ETD roles, with the opportunity to specialize further in one of the following four roles:
- Design and develop learning interventions.
- Facilitate learning.
- Design and conduct assessments.
- Facilitate skills development.
Contact Academy Training Group on 012 997 2804 / 1063 today for further queries regarding the ODETDP qualification.
Article by Lana Kornelius, Academy Training Group